Thursday, June 9, 2011

ESSAY TEST: Create a Culture Bridge

The film that i will relate to my life is Little Miss Sunshine. In the movie there isn't really a protagonist because all family members are almost equally in the film. I will compare all six family members to my self instead of picking one. I think each of the characters and i have something in common and are relate able in some way.

Olive Hoover and i are probably the least a like, but we do have some things in common. She doesn't really seem to care about what everyone thinks because she just wants to do what she wants to do regardless of what other people think. We have that in common but there's nothing i really want to do i just don't really care what people think and neither does Olive. She also seems to have a conflict with her dad but is really close with her grandpa. I don't have a relationship with my dad at all and i live with my grandfather and we get along like Olive does with her grandfather. Olive is also kind of a nerd and I've been told that I'm also nerdy so we have a couple things in common.

Richard Hoover is kind of full of himself and thinks he right about everything with his steps to live and all that. I personally don't think I'm full of myself but I've been told i also think highly of myself. I do however always think that i am right, even when I'm wrong i won't admit it. Richard also tries to wish for the best for his family but doesn't have a good way of showing it because he comes off as rude sometimes and highly annoying. I also don't have the best way for showing feelings and i come off as rude a lot. Richard and also tries to control situations and i do as well.

Dwayne Hoover's personality isn't spoken in words much but it shows in his actions a lot. I think i can connect with him the most in many different ways. He doesn't talk to his family in the movie at all and is going through a "phase". I had a "phase" where i wouldn't talk to my family for a good month freshman year. His reasons for not talking where very different form mine though. Dwayne laughs when his family is going through issues seems to not be effected by it. I also am the same way. He doesn't seem to have a relationship with his mother and seems to really not like his dad. I also am not close with my parents. Dwayne seems to be a typical teenager going through the phase of hating everything for no reason. In the end he comes to like his family and breaks out of his shell and dances on the stage which wasn't expected form him. I also love to embarrass myself in public but people don't except me to.
Edwin Hoover, also known as "grandpa" and i are a like in very few ways. He doesn't reallt care what he says and he speaks his mind. This i actually really like about him because i myself, don't watch what i say. I say whatever i want regardless if it should be kept to myself. I don't go around saying evrything but i definially need to watch what i say every now and then. I however don't swear every two seconds like Edwin. I actually rarely swear unless i'm really mad but every now and then everyone slips the "s" word. He also has a sick sense of humor to me clearly based off the dance Olive was doing.
Sheryl Hoover and i have some relate able traits. She seems to do things last minutes like dinner choice, i make this assumption because one character says "Fried chicken again" seeing that you can buy fried chicken on the go. I also tend to do things two seconds before it's do for school and i always stall things off. She tires really had trying to keep the family together and making sure everyone is happy. She always keeps her cool even though everything is not alright with there money and dieing grandpa. I also don't show it all the time but i try to keep everyone happy. I also tend to keep my cool to make everyone seem less worse than it actually is.
Frank Ginsberg and i have a couple things in common. He is unhappy with life at the start of the movie and i think i can speak for everyone when i say I've been there before. Frank comes into the family and it kind of the outcast at first because he's not custom to them. I also always kind of felt like an outcast with both sides of my families. I remember my family comparing me to "Meg Griffin" from Family Guy, and if you haven't seen Family Guy before that is a really bad thing. Frank also has a lot of issues like suicide and everyone has issues of there own. He has a problem with the guy he likes liking the guy he hates and i can relate to that because in fifth grade i liked a girl who end up dating the person in my class i really didn't like. That was fifth grade though and it only lasted two days so it was all good for me. Frank is very sarcastic and likes to argue with Richard which i love to argue all the time and sarcasm is a second language to me.
Over all i can relate to every member in the family and i really like each role they play. I think that i can relate most to this movie because it's kind of a typical Caucasian family. Also it's a film made form the United States where i was born and raised. Every family is crazy in there own way and this movie is a great way to laugh at our own faults.

1 comment:

  1. I like this essay Jacob! In general all your writing was analytical but yet personal and honest too. Thanks for being in class and writing these blog posts. canelake

    ReplyDelete